Table of Contents
Are you looking for a new lightweight camping shovel?
When it comes to camping, there are a few essentials that you just can’t go without. A tent, a sleeping bag, and of course, a shovel. But when you’re backpacking, every ounce counts.
Camping is an amazing experience, but it can be difficult to find the right gear. You need a tent, a sleeping bag, and of course a shovel to dig cat holes and improve campsite drainage.
What's A Poop Shovel & Why Do I Need One
When you have to carry all your gear for hours of hiking every ounce counts. But what do you do if you need to go to the bathroom and there’s no toilet around? Well, lucky for you, there’s a solution – and it’s called a poop shovel.
A poop shovel is simply a small shovel that can be used to dig a cat hole in the ground. This is where you will go to the bathroom while camping. Make sure to bury your waste after using it, and always dispose of it properly.
How Dig A Cat Hole
A cat hole is simply a nicer name for a hole in the ground you poop in while camping.
Digging a cat hole is one of the most important things you can do when camping. Not only does it provide a place for you to do your business, but it also helps keep the campsite clean and free of unpleasant odors. Here are the steps to digging a cat hole:
1. Find an area away from the campsite that is at least 200 feet from water sources.
2. With your camping shovel, dig a hole 6-8 inches deep and wide enough for you to do your business in.
3. Sprinkle some soil over the waste to help absorb unpleasant smells.
4. Cover up the hole when finished and mark the spot so that others know not to disturb it.
We’ve compiled the best camping shovels for backpackers that are lightweight but still durable. These camping tools will help you get the job done without adding too much weight to your pack.
So which shovel is the best for backpackers? Here are our top three picks.
If you’re looking for a camping shovel that is both lightweight and durable, the Naceture Ultralight Backpacking Trowel is a great option. Made from 7075 aluminum, this shovel weighs just 27g and measures 7.6″ x 2.5″ x 1″.
- Compact and lightweight – This camping shovel is small and easy to carry, so you can take it with you wherever you go.
- Sharp point and serrated edges – The sharp point and serrated edges make digging easier than ever.
- Feels very durable and solid – Made from high-quality materials, this camping shovel is built to last.
The top pick on our list is Deuce Ultralight Backpacking Potty Trowel by Deuter (made in the US). This camping trowel weighs as little as .45oz with a lifetime guarantee – it’s perfect for any backpacker looking to save weight!
The Deuce also features an ultra-strong aluminum alloy construction that can handle even the most challenging terrain. With all these great features, it’s no surprise that this is America’s top-selling backpacking trowel.
- 3 weight options with the lightest being .45oz, perfect for ultralight backpackers
- Made of ultra-strong aluminum alloy that can handle any terrain
- Quick and easy to use, helps you dig cat holes quickly
FLYEGO Backpacking Trowel is the big boy of the group Made from a lightweight aluminum alloy, it has a serrated edge on one end and a sharp point on the other for popping out rocks or cutting pieces of wood. It also includes a bottle opener feature so you can enjoy a beer to celebrate your camping adventure after all is said and done!
This camping shovel may not be the lightest, but it certainly packs the biggest punch. Plus, FLYEGO offers a 100% money-back guarantee on all their products.
- Made from lightweight aluminum alloy, this camping shovel is easy to carry around
- Serrated edge and sharp point make it easy to cut through different materials
- Bottle opener feature allows you to enjoy a cold one after a long day of camping
Backpacking Shovel FAQ
Why do you need a backpacking shovel?
A camping shovel is a handy tool to have when camping, as it can be used for a variety of tasks, such as digging a fire pit, leveling your camping site, or burying your waste. But when you’re backpacking, every ounce counts.
What is a poop shovel called?
A poop shovel is a camping shovel that is specially designed to bury human waste. It is also known as a toilet shovel, latrine shovel, or camping toiletry shovel.
What is a backcountry shovel?
A backcountry shovel is a camping shovel that is not designed to bury human waste. It can be used for other camping tasks, but should never be used for burying feces. The toilet shovel has a different design at the scoop end where it’s narrower and lighter, so it can fit between two slabs of firewood or close to the ground when digging a number 2 hole.
Whether you’re looking for a camping trowel or potty trowel, there’s something on this list that will suit your needs without adding too much weight to your pack. With the right camping shovel, you can enjoy digging cat holes or camping without worrying about getting your gear dirty or adding too much weight.